The knee joint bears a lot of your body weight, so caring for your knees is critical. Simple wear and tear can greatly reduce the strength of your knees, causing pain and discomfort. If you are experiencing weak knees, you’ll want to take action to strengthen your weak knee joints. Check out our weak knee exercises you can use to relieve your knee pain and strengthen the muscles that support your knees.
Weak Knees Causes
There are many causes for weak knees including illnesses, injuries, and overuse. Some of the most common causes are:
- Strains and sprains
- Torn cartilage or ligament
- Infection of the knee joint
- Lack of physical activity
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
A physician can properly diagnose the cause of your weak knees and help you determine the best course of action.
Weak Knees Symptoms
When considering weak knees symptoms, keep in mind that the severity of the pain and the exact location could vary depending on the issue. With that in mind, the following are some typical weak knee symptoms:
- Swelling and stiffness of the knee
- A burning sensation
- Instability and weakness
- Popping noises when the joint is bent
- The inability to straighten the knee
- Difficulty transitioning from a sitting to a standing position
Weak Knees Treatment
Treatment focuses on providing immediate relief through support or compression and on strengthening the knees to address the underlying cause of your weak knees. These exercises can not only relieve the joint pain, but will also help prevent re-injury.
Like with most joint pain, ice packs or heating pads can help reduce swelling and pain. Proper footwear and postures can really make a difference when it comes to knee pain and weakness.
- Cho-Pat® Dual Action Knee Strap - The strap applies pressure to the patellar tendon below the kneecap as well as the tendon below the kneecap to provide strength, alignment, and stability. It also reduces the likelihood of overuse injuries.
- Cho-Pat® Dynamic Knee Compression Sleeve - This sleeve will lessen inward pressure to the kneecap while keeping moisture away from the skin.
- Tuli’s® 3/4 Gaitors – For your everyday shoes, Tuli’s Gaitors deliver the best shock absorption and arch support whether you're playing sports or just walking. Podiatrists love Tuli's Gaitors because they mold to fit the user's foot, providing a custom orthotic solution. This light-weight ultra-thin carbon fiber orthotic delivers shock absorption and guides proper alignment.
- Tuli’s® Heavy Duty Heel Cups – For your athletic shoes and cleats, Tuli’s Heavy Duty Heel cups absorb shock and return impact energy to cushion your feet and soften the impact on your knees
Long Term Healing
Stretch & Strengthen
- ProStretch PlusTM - The patented ProStretch Plus rocker design holds your foot in the optimal position for working the lower leg muscles and is customizable so you can slowly increase your stretch. Calf, hamstring, and plantar fascia flexibility are critical to supporting weak knees. Proven effective to provide a deep, gradual stretch that increases flexibility.