Elbow tendonitis is a condition in which there is irritation or inflammation of the tendons that attach to the bones in the elbow. Elbow tendonitis causes a lot of pain and tenderness on the outer portion of the joint and is very common among those who play sports or participate in activities that require the constant movement of the elbows.
Elbow tendonitis is not typically a serious injury and is generally easy to treat and prevent. We also recommend helpful elbow tendonitis exercises
Elbow Tendonitis Causes
Most often, elbow tendonitis occurs in people who repeat similar motions over and over again, straining their muscles slowly over time. Some elbow tendonitis causes include:
- Sports such as tennis and racquetball
- Weight lifting
- Raking or sweeping
- Knitting and other hand work
Elbow Tendonitis Symptoms
To properly treat the condition, you will need to be properly diagnosed. Understanding the elbow tendonitis symptoms will help you to convey your condition to your medical professional. Symptoms may include:
- Pain in the elbow while lifting objects, whether heavy or light.
- Pain when you make a fist.
- Pain when you raise your arm up or try to straighten it.
- Tenderness in the elbow and forearm, even when they are immobile.
- Possible swelling and redness around the elbow.
Elbow Tendonitis Treatment
When participating in treatment, the goal of elbow tendonitis treatment is to relieve the pain you feel and reduce the inflammation in and around the elbow. Resting, icing the inflamed area, and taking pain relievers are three easy elbow tendonitis treatment options to look into first. The following immediate relief treatment solutions will both help reduce pain and prevent further occurrence.
- Cho-Pat® Tennis Elbow splint – The tennis elbow splint is a product designed to offer secure support to the tendons and muscles in the forearm that may become strained due to overuse.
- Cho-Pat® Golfer’s Elbow Support – The golfer’s elbow support also provides support to the arm, in addition to offering the right amount of pressure to alleviate pain and aid in the healing process.
Long Term Healing
Stretch & Strengthen
- StretchRite® – StretchRite is a tool that you can use to provide your body with the best overall stretch. Proper stretching is a great way to provide yourself with elbow tendonitis treatment before and after you participate in sports or other strenuous activities.
- Surgery – If your elbow tendonitis is quite severe, your doctor may recommend one of various surgical options to take care of the problem.
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapy is a minimally invasive technique that allows a professional to help you alleviate pain through proper techniques and movements.
How to Prevent Elbow Tendonitis
For the best in elbow tendonitis prevention, always be sure to wear a Cho-Pat tennis elbow splint, golfer’s elbow support, or elbow compression sleeve during physical activities that put particular stress on and around the elbow. In addition, warm up before you work out the elbow, by stretching with StretchRite. If you feel any pain, stop doing what you are doing and ice the area so that you will not end up with more serious issues.