What Causes Muscle Spasms and Cramps?
Causes of Muscle Spasms and Cramps
Predisposing factors, the location of the spasm, and even your environment, can all play a part in what causes muscle spasms. The following are a few of those causes:
- Overused or tired muscles
- Overstretched muscles
- Holding a certain muscle in the same position for an extended period of time
- Repetitive movements such as raking or sweeping
- Participating in an activity that you have never done before and using new muscles
Muscle Cramp Causes
Muscle cramps also have a variety of causes. Some of the following are common factors for what causes muscle cramps:
- Hyper excitability of the nerves
- An injury to the muscle, resulting in a cramp
- Vigorous activities that eventually create fatigue and cramping in the muscles
- Resting, specifically during the night, which causes the muscles to shorten and then cramp when they are moved again
Treatment for Muscle Spasms and Cramps
Muscle spasms treatment and muscle cramps treatment are very similar. Stretching, warming, or massaging the muscles will often achieve immediate relief. Some common muscle cramps and muscle spasms treatment options include:
Long Term Healing
- RangeRollerTM – Massaging with RangeRoller enables you to reach deep - massaging both outer and inner layers of muscle and connective tissue, which can help to increase circulation and alleviate muscle cramps or spasms
Stretch and Strengthen
- StretchRite® – The StretchRite is a tool designed for an overall good stretch for the body. Spasms and cramps often just need to be stretched back out to their natural position. The StretchRite’s design makes it an effective muscle spasms and muscle cramps treatment option.
- CoreStretch™ – The CoreStretch is another tool designed for a nice, deep stretch. It is essentially the tool to use if you need muscle cramps treatment for your lower back.
- ProStretch Plus™ – The ProStretch Plus is designed to provide the most effective stretch to the foot, ankle, and lower leg.
How to Prevent Muscle Spasms and Cramps
Knowing how to prevent muscle spasms and cramps will allow you to stay on your feet longer and avoid having to take time out for muscle spasms treatment. The following are some techniques to help you avoid muscle spasms and cramps:
- Stay Hydrated – A muscle that is dehydrated is prone to cramping.
- Maintain Flexibility – Spasms and cramps are less likely to occur when your muscles are flexible and well stretched. StretchRite®, CoreStretch™, and ProStretch® help to ensure a safe and effective stretch that will help to strengthen and lengthen the muscles of the body in order to avoid spasms or cramps.
- Protect Muscles – When you participate in physical activity, use products that will protect your muscles. Products such as Cho-Pat® Compression Sleeves promote circulation, provide warmth and deliver support that helps reduce the likelihood of muscle spasms and muscle cramps.