Lower Leg Pain
Lower leg pain may present itself in various different forms. There are many conditions that can be treated at home with the proper solutions, but there are others that require the help of a medical professional. Understanding lower leg pain causes and symptoms will help you determine the treatment that is right for you. Please see our lower leg pain exercises.
Lower Leg Pain Causes
Some of the most common lower leg pain causes include:
- Achilles Tendonitis – A condition that occurs when the Achilles tendon is overused. This injury is commonly experienced by runners or middle-aged individuals who play sports.
- Shin Splints – A term used to describe general shin pain that happens during physical activities, often resulting from too much pressure or force on the shinbone.
- Calf Pain – A dull or sharp pain is felt in the calf, specifically during movement.
- Calf Strain – A term used to describe the feeling of a cramp or pull in the calf muscles.
Many lower leg pain causes are due to overuse, sudden change in activity, sports injuries, direct blows to the calf, and not wearing the proper footwear during physical activities.
Lower Leg Pain Symptoms
Lower leg pain symptoms can range from occasional aches and pains which are often treatable at home, including:
- Muscle cramps or sore muscles
- Pain around the shin bone
- Pain in the back of the lower leg
To more severe pain:
- Difficulty climbing stairs
- Inflamed or torn tendons or muscles
- Tenderness or stiffness, particularly in the morning
- Sharp shooting pain around the shins
Be sure to see your doctor if you have any question about your leg pain or if symptoms get worse.
Lower Leg Pain Treatment
Lower leg pain treatment will vary depending on the injury. Products often used for lower leg pain treatment include:
- Cho-Pat® Calf Compression Sleeve – Provides reinforcement and compression to improve circulation and promote healing.
- Cho-Pat® Shin Splint Compression Sleeve – Offers compression and support to enhance healing of the shins.
- Cho-Pat® Achilles Tendon Strap - Applies adjustable and consistent heel support to reduce stress and alleviate the pain.
- Tuli’s® Heavy Duty Heel Cups – These are recommended as the best in shock absorption and can be worn in athletic shoes, work boots, and other similar shoes.
- Tuli’s® Gaitors – Tuli’s Gaitors can be worn in your everyday shoes to provide you with increased support and extended relief from pain.
Long Term Healing
Stretch & Strengthen
- ProStretch Plus™- This provides immediate relief through a more effective stretch of the calf.
- RangeRoller™ Original and Pro– The RangeRoller Original and Pro both offer the deepest, most effective massage of the lower leg for increased pain relief.