Any sufferer of back pain will tell you that their immediate objective is to reduce pain and restore mobility. While the natural tendency may be to rest, exercise may be the most effective way to speed recovery from low back pain. A Finnish study found that persons who continued their activities without bed rest following the onset of back pain appeared to have better back flexibility than those who rested in bed for a week. Our back pain exercises offer relief from the pain you may be suffering from.
Back Pain Causes
- Repetitive motion stress from regular physical activity
- Prolonged periods of inactivity, especially from sitting in chairs with poor back support for more than an hour at a time
- Lifting heavy objects improperly
- Exercising without warming up properly
- Over-extension of muscles during exercise
- Impact injuries
Back Pain Symptoms
- Constant aches or stiffness
- Sharp, sudden pains
- Discomfort and restlessness, or regularly needing to shift position
- Difficulty walking or bending over
Back Pain TreatmentBack pain treatments can range from massage to surgery, depending on the severity and underlying cause. However, before you decide to have surgery or take medications, you might consider some physical therapy techniques. Exercise, including stretching and strengthening of the muscles along the posterior chain (calves, glutes, hamstrings and back) has been shown to benefit many back pain sufferers by restoring muscle balance, strength, and flexibility.
Short Term Relief
- Tuli's Gaitors – Tuli’s Gaitors® offer shock absorption that allow the back more comfort. With a cushioned heel and the most comfort from toe to heel, Gaitors provide the relief you need to participate in your everyday activities. This product is light-weight ultra-thin carbon fiber orthotic encourages proper gait and alignment. It promotes proper posture to limit back pain.
Long Term Relief
- ProStretch Plus – An effective stretch that can help heal, as well as prevent, conditions such as shin splints. Calf, Achilles tendon, and plantar fascia flexibility are critical to shin splint healing. It is proven effective to provide a deep, gradual stretch that increases flexibility. The ProStretch Plus is biomechanically engineered to enable a controlled and targeted stretch. This product is preferred by athletes, trainers, and physical therapists for over 20 years.
- CoreStretch- CoreStretch™ offers the most effective stretch of the lower back. Available for use in a physical therapist’s office, or for use at home, this delivers immediate relief for lower back pain as well as the steretches needed for healing.