Running with Kids covers using the RangeRoller on sore muscles for tissue massage after tough runs or training, and even after taekwando practices for IT Bands and tight calves.
Gear Review – Tissue Massage with RangeRoller
We have incorporated Medi-Dyne’s Pro Stretch Plus into our cool down and stretching routine after runs (read my review here). But there is another Medi-Dyne tool in our toolkit, the original Range Roller, that has become just as important after strenuous workouts. The Range Roller enables soft tissue massages and accelerates the healing and recovery process.
My older son, who runs high school cross country and track, used a hard foam roller for tissue massages, and I had considered buying one. I opted for the Range Roller for several reasons, including deeper tissue massage, more versatile applications with the tool, and very portable (throw it into a gym bag or backpack). He has since converted to the Range Roller.
Recognizing the importance of stretching and massaging, my younger son has been using the Range Roller after runs as well, but opened our eyes when he asked for the Range Roller after his Taekwondo 2nd degree Black Belt test (read about this 90 minute test that requires nearly 1,000 hours of preparation). We now use the Range Roller after runs (example: helps disipate lactic acid after threshold and anaerobic track workouts by improving blood circulation to muscles) and after Taekwondo practice (example: helps reduce soreness and repair tissue after Taekwondo sparring session by improving blood circulation to tissue).
What we like:
RangeRoller’s Unique Design
- The original Range Roller measures 19 inches long and contains 6 narrow, deep rollers alternating with 7 wider, shallow rollers that turn freely as the Range Roller is gently and firmly rolled to massage tissue.
- The tool is held with foam handles on both ends and flexes slightly as pressure is applied.
- It is portable (bring along to a track workout, martial arts practice, or fitness center) and easy to store.
- A smaller (16 inch) and larger (25 inch) version is also available.
- The Range Roller can be ordered in your favorite color combinations (think sports teams!)
RangeRoller’s Materials and Quality
- The Range Roller is manufactured of high quality plastic and dense foam, and can be gently washed with mild soap.
- We are impressed with the overall quality of the Range Roller (design, materials, and workmanship) and expect to use it daily for many years to come.
RangeRoller’s Affordable Price
- The Range Roller costs $25 at Medi-Dyne.com.
- Less expensive (and more versatile) than foam rollers, and a fraction of the cost of sports massages!